Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tax Preparation Process Shows Promise, Peril of Document Imaging

I am a partner in a tax preparation firm and I am excited about what document imaging technology may do for our business in terms of efficiency, client satisfaction, and reduced costs. But I'm also concerned about being sued because of document imaging gone wrong.

There are some very interesting income tax preparation document imaging applications being developed; in fact, some such apps already quite well-developed. Here is the document imaging app called "Document eSort" from our software partner, Intuit.

Document eSort aims to give me, the tax consultant, the ability to scan an entire disorganized client folder (the proverbial tax receipt shoebox) and receive back, within 24 hours, an organized file that helps me do that tax return in less than half the time.

But what about client privacy of information? How can I guarantee that our clients do not see their social security numbers or other sensitive financial information stolen when it's passing through those Internet wires? Isn't it safer to keep that info in-house, off-line?

Addressing these security and litigation concerns should be a top priority of document imaging salespeople.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could document imaging mean the death of the traditional accountant? I did my taxes entirely online this year and it was a relief. No more appointments and no more getting to the meeting without key documents.

 
http://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=1022838784761333320